IOSH Managing Safely
- Who Attends
This IOSH Managing Safely training programme is designed for Managers and Supervisors with responsibility for health and safety management in the workplace and associated legislation.
- The Aim
The aim of the training course is to provide delegates with the knowledge and tools to deal with the health and safety issues associated with their areas of responsibility, enabling them to review their safety systems and introduce new controls or implement changes as appropriate for the benefit of their organisations and employees and contribute to the protection of the environment.
- Course Content
• Introducing Managing Safely.
• Assessing Risks – how to define risk and risk assessment, introducing a scoring system.
• Controlling Risks - best techniques and methods.
• Health and Safety Law - how the legal system works and introducing a health and safety management system.
• Identifying hazards to include:
• Entrances and Exits.
• Work Traffic.
• Fire & Chemicals.
• Physical And Verbal Abuse.
• Bullying, Stress.
• Housekeeping and the Working Environment.
• Slips, Trips and Falls.
• Working at Height.
• Computers and Manual Handling.
• Investigation of Accidents and Incidents.
• Measuring Performance.
• Protecting Our Environment.
By the end of the training course delegates will be able to:
• Demonstrate their understanding of:
• The importance of safety management systems and integrating health and safety into their responsibilities.
• Liabilities and accountability of organisations and individuals imposed on them by legislation.
• How the industry impacts the environment and how this can be reduced.
• Demonstrate their ability to:
• Identify hazards within their area of responsibility.
• Evaluate risks associated with the hazards using a recognised system.
• Decide on appropriate control measures in line with legislative requirements.
• Decide when improvements may be necessary based on performance indicators and accident/near miss investigations.
Interactive animation, board games, quizzes and DVDs.
A high proportion of this course is interactive, through the use of animated presentations, board games, quizzes and case studies. These will be supplemented with recognisable scenarios, discussions, practical work and classroom based tutorials.
The highly recognised IOSH certificate requires full 4 or 5 days attendance and successful completion of a final course assessment (mixture of multi-choice and written answers) and a project.
The project is based on the delegates' own work environment and based on the key learning elements of the course i.e. recognition of hazards, evaluation of risks, deciding if existing controls are effective, recommending improvements where these are not and which performance indicators should be used
For those choosing the 4-day option the project is completed after the learning at your own workplace and must be done within 2 weeks. The 5-day course allows more guidance from the tutor and completion of the project on day 5
- Additional Info
To be awarded the IOSH Managing Safely certificate, delegates must attend every module and successfully complete the post course assessment and project, which is valid for a period of 3 years.
Delegates should inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in undertaking elements of this training course.
For training held at your own location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a 240v power supply, contains a flip chart/white board and a screen or other suitable arrangements for the presentation and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending.
- Dates & Locations