Mental Health First Aid - MHFA England Accredited
- Who Attends
This two-day mental health first aid workshop is designed specifically for managers and those with responsibilities for the productivity and well-being of others, e.g. HR staff, H&S teams, Senior Management, Line Managers or Site Managers. At the end of the course, delegates will be qualified as Mental Health First Aiders.
Delegates will complete a range of group and individual activities throughout the course to ensure learning is embedded and they understand the practical application of that knowledge, each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan.
This course is specific to mental health in adults.
- The Aim
This course will consider how you can build a culture and specific processes within your business, to help reduce the stigma around Mental Health as a topic. It will enable you to be able to flag issues before they become problems and to help you have productive, legal and positive conversations with those who are signed off work with mental health-related issues.
It will also give you a good understanding of mental health and resilience, workplace situations and how to handle them.
- Course Content
The course is split into 4 sessions over the two days.
Each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan and involves a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions.
• Why Mental Health First Aid?
• The Mental Health First Aid action plan
• What is mental health?
• Impact of mental health issues
• Stigma and discrimination
• Understanding the symptoms and factors involved with depression
• Suicide figures and associated first aid
• Alcohol, drugs and mental health
• First aid and resources for depression
• Non-judgemental listening skills
• Understanding anxiety and associated first aid including crisis first aid
• Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
• Cognitive distortions and CBT
• Personality disorders
• Eating disorders
• Understanding psychosis, risk factors and associated first aid and resources
• Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
• Bipolar Disorder
• Recovery and building resources
• Action planning for using MHFA
The course will also give you an opportunity to talk through case studies, equip you to have difficult conversations around sensitive topics and will look at making reasonable adjustments in the workplace.
After attending this workshop, you will gain a deeper understanding of the issues that impact on and relate to people’s mental health.
You will be able to teach practical skills that can be used every day, including being able to spot the signs and symptoms of mental health issues and feel confident guiding people towards appropriate support.
This course has superb feedback on enabling and empowering Managers to support their staff better. By increasing confidence in this topic, your organisation is more likely to attract and retain a healthy and engaged workforce.
1 in 4 people suffer with a mental health issue and 82% of managers would like to be better equipped to support their staff.
Staying in Positive Mental Health helps people to:
• Realize their full potential.
• Create a more positive and productive culture.
• Prevent mental health issues becoming worse
• Reduce business sickness costs and sickness records
• Reduce accident rates.
• Cope with the pressures of life
• Have positive relationships
• Make good choices
- Additional Info
We are often left in the position that we are only aware of mental health-related issues in others when they are already suffering the effects and their work is being affected. This can be a challenging and sensitive situation to resolve. This course helps remove the barriers and stigma around mental health in the workplace so that conversations can be had earlier when symptoms are detected.
We also measure the confidence they have in the topic before and after the course and this information can be provided to the organisation if required.
All delegates will receive a comprehensive MHFA textbook and MHFA certificate confirming they are an accredited Mental Health First Aider.
- Miscellaneous Info
Start time: 09:00End time: 17:00
- Dates & Locations