SMSTS - Site Management Safety Training Scheme Refresher (CITB) - Bitesized Live Virtual Classroom (3 x 1/2 day sessions)
- Who Attends
The refresher course is only for delegates who have previously passed the five-day SMSTS or subsequent refresher course and hold a current valid SMSTS certificate. Evidence must be provided to the training provider of their eligibility.
If a delegate cannot provide a copy of their certificate, the online card checker can be used to establish if a delegate currently holds a valid SMSTS certificate.
- The Aim
The training course aims to:
• Improve awareness of recent developments in construction, legislation and health, safety, welfare and environmental issues.
• Identify measures that will assist the practical implementation of responsibilities established by new legislation and new working practices.
- Course Content
• Legislation, ACOP updates with discussions on impact and practical aspects of compliance.
• Overview of proposed/impending legislation.
• Accident statistics, costs, causes, management responsibilities/methods in prevention.
• HSE’s current focus on construction activities.
• Safety management systems, policies, plans and performance measuring.
• Management of Contractors.
• Communication and consultation aspects, effective use of ‘toolbox talks’ and ‘site inductions’.
• Syndicate exercises:
• Prevention of accidents.
• Motivating safety behaviour.
• Planning for health and safety in relation to fire safety, working at height, manual handling, and movement of people within the context of a project.
At the end of the period of training delegates will be:
• Aware of and able to implement all updated health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them in their role as a manager.
• Aware of and able to implement new guidance and industry of best practice.
• More aware of their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
This is a two-day course. Delegates are required to complete the full course to be eligible for certification.
• Delegates are required to show original photographic identification prior to the commencement of the course, the delegate must be notified of this requirement prior to attendance.
• Delegates must attend the days in order and, where not on consecutive days, must complete the course within two weeks.
• Failure to complete the full course will result in them failing and, as a result, they will not receive a certificate.
• If a delegate is indisposed, in extenuating circumstances (such as bereavement or certified illness), the delegate may enrol on a new course, advice should be sought from CITB before proceeding.
- Additional Info
• All courses will be delivered in English in accordance with scheme rules.
• Delegates must, therefore, be competent in English at the level required to do their job before their course commences.
• Interpreters and translators are not permitted for any part of the course qualification or examination.
• The examination paper is compulsory and consists of 25 questions, selected by CITB, covering all aspects of the course.
• The examination pass mark is 80% (24 out of 30).
• The paper consists of 20 multiple choice questions and five short written questions. There are five safety critical questions in each exam paper. The delegate must answer all five of these questions correctly to pass the exam.
• The multiple-choice questions are worth 1 point each, whereas written questions can score between 1-3 marks.
• We suggest you share this information with the delegates prior to attending the course.
• There is an option for an examination to be re-taken if the delegate fails on the first attempt.
• Where a delegate has achieved between 71%–77% (25, 26 or 27 out of 35) in the exam or has achieved the 80% pass rate but failed the safety critical questions, the delegate may re-sit the exam. This can either be on the same day or by resitting the exam by attending the final day of another course within a 90-day period (the delegate is not obliged to re-do the course).
• If a delegate fails the re-sit, they will need to take the full SMSTS-R course again.
• When a delegate scores less than 69% (24 correct answers out of 35) in the final exam, the delegate must attend the full SMSTS course again before they can re-sit the exam.
- Dates & Locations