A compact or mini crane is the perfect solution when lighter and sometimes tighter space crane lifting is required. Sometimes referred to as spider cranes, thanks to their outrigger design and configuration, compact cranes are most often used for lifting from small or restricted spaces and are ideal inside buildings, renovations and maintenance.
This Citrus certification delivers the necessary skills, knowledge, and understanding of compact cranes and how to use them safely. It is specifically aimed at Plant Operators who require practical and theory-based training and assessment on a Compact Crane.
With a mix of practical and theory-based exercises and tutorials, delegates will cover manufacturer and general knowledge and awareness of compact crane use while participating in practical activities to recognise machine components and functions and set up exclusion zones.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with regulations. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and we can tailor courses to fit your specific training needs, with the added flexibility provided by our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach to how we work.
Our occupationally and technically-experienced trainers coach delegates on this course, completing the session with a question and answer paper and practical assessment to follow. They must pass the assessment to qualify for the Citrus Certificate and Citrus ID Card, which are valid for three years.
This training is essential for workers to operate compact cranes safely. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, understand procedures and appropriate documentation and classifications.
The learnings will take delegates through;
- Dangers associated with the industry and the part they play in making it safer
- The manufacturers’ handbook for the compact crane
- Major machine components and functionality
- Key controls and functionality
- The purpose of exclusion zones and how to set them up
- PPE types and usage specific to compact crane use
- Pre-operational checks and procedures and the legislations that enforce them
- Practical preparation and operation of a compact crane
- Environmental impact and considerations
- Work completion and shut down procedures
At the end of the training, successful delegates will:
- Have a basic understanding of the industry, the dangers of working in the industry and their responsibilities as an operator
- Have a working knowledge of the manufacturer’s handbook for the particular machine to be used
- Confidently locate and identify the major components of the machine and explain their functions
- Be able to locate and identify key controls and explain their functions
- Set up an exclusion zone
- Identify and maintain PPE appropriate for compact crane use
- Conduct all pre-operational and running checks in accordance with manufacturers and legislative requirements
- Be able to prepare a mini compact crane for use and operate the machine safely and efficiently
- Be aware of environmental considerations and the impact their work has
- Confidently carry out all end of work and shut down procedures
On successful completion of the course, delegates receive their Citrus Certificate and Citrus Training ID card, valid for three years.
Who Should Attend?
This Compact Crane Citrus Certification is for Plant Operators who need practical and theory training and assessment on a compact crane to carry out their work. The course is available to those who need the whole package and assessment-only options.
This comprehensive course trains delegates to safely and responsibly work with compact cranes on-site. The training options vary to accommodate novices and seasoned delegates:
Novice training - five days with a maximum of three delegates
Refresher training – two days with day one for training and day two for assessment with a maximum of three delegates
Preparation and Testing – one-day course split with training in the morning and assessment in the afternoon for a maximum of three delegates
Assessment only - one-day session with a maximum of four delegates
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training, working tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We have over 30 specialist Plant and Lifting trainers and assessors, coaching and testing nationwide to meet any specific needs of our clients. With a wealth of experience and expertise, they have successfully trained over 25,000 delegates across the Plant and NVQ training categories.
Our facilities include six technical centres with the capacity for delivering Plant Training across the UK. And our national, accredited Training and Test Centres are fully equipped to provide CPCS and CSCS accredited courses. In addition, as an approved NPORS training provider, we can also offer on-site training and testing nationwide.
Finally, as an Approved Training Organisation by CITB, we demonstrate that we provide quality training that meets the industry-approved, standards (ATO).
Things You Need to Know
This Citrus Certifed course has practical elements, so delegates must inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in conducting elements of this training course.
For training held at your location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a 240v power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. Please ensure that the practical area has been risk-assessed, is free from harm, and is ideal for training.
If you are a CITB Levy payer, you can claim a CITB Grant for this course. Once you have booked please contact us with your CITB number and we can assist you in claiming the funds.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.