The management of confined space working and operations is a huge responsibility. A critical role with worker safety at stake, the responsible person for a confined space, must have extensive knowledge and awareness of various safety and risk management processes, expert communication and procedural excellence.
The team entering the confined space will rely on the responsible person to be well versed in everything from legislation to gas detection and emergency procedures.
This Citrus certification delivers the necessary skills, knowledge, and understanding of confined spaces, essential and particular to responsible persons. It is primarily aimed at those that have to manage teams working in and with confined space operations but are not required to enter a confined space.
This course is theory only with classroom-based exercises and tutorials. Delegates will cover legislative knowledge and awareness to fully understand how procedures and protocols work and why they are in place.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with regulations. In addition, work with Citrus, and we can tailor courses to fit your specific training needs, with learning flexibility provided by our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach to how we do business.
Our occupationally and technically-experienced trainers will coach delegates in this one-day course, completing the session with a short answer question paper. They must pass the final assessment to qualify for the certificate.
This training is essential to educate managers, supervisors, and those responsible for confined spaces to safely execute work in such areas. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, understand procedures and appropriate documentation and classifications.
The learnings will take delegates through;
- Terminology including ‘confined space’ and ‘specified risk’
- Principle requirements of the Safe Entry into Confined Space Regulations 1997
- Risk assessment requirements under the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations and the associated, approved code of practice
- Permits to work – including why and when to use them
- The purpose and benefits of safe systems of work
- Principle requirements of the Emergency Arrangements
- Principle duties of a person responsible for managing entries into confined spaces
- Preparing relevant paperwork suitable for use in confined spaces
- Roles and responsibilities of those involved in the confined space entry
- Gas detection – types and use and action to take
- Respiratory Protective Equipment - types and uses for each
At the end of the training, successful delegates will have an understanding of;
- Confined space legislation and how classifications are given (NC, low/medium/high-risk)
- Safe systems of work and risk assessments
- Types of access equipment and when to use them
- Method statements and other supporting materials
- Entry permits - what they are and who needs them
- Methods of communication for safe working in confined spaces and rescue
- Atmospheric hazards - gas, chemicals, harmful substances, oxygen and more
- Respiratory protective equipment including entry, escape and airline
- PPE requirements for all workers
- Emergency procedures for safe working practices
- Responsibilities for persons managing confined space operations
Who Should Attend?
This Citrus Certification is for managers, supervisors and those in charge of confined space activities aged 16 or over.
This one-day course trains delegates to safely and responsibly manage confined space entry and deal with the challenges, processes and protocols involved on completion and certification.
Quality and the customer experience are paramount to us here at Citrus. We work tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We proudly work with 85 of the country’s top 100 building services companies providing courses nationwide. Our purpose-built, simulated confined space environments with integrated surveillance are approved by City & Guilds, meaning we can provide the most realistic experience in the market/possible.
To supplement our excellent facilities, we can provide the latest, cutting-edge equipment for all delegates during training through our sister company, Altitude Safety, which also offers over 10,000 safety products and equipment from leading manufacturers available to hire or purchase.
And crucially, our dedicated trainers provide expert knowledge and real-world experience to manage the most complex and high-risk, hazardous scenarios in confined space training. As a result, we’ve successfully delivered training for over 35,000 delegates across the Confined Space and City & Guilds training category.
Things You Need to Know
This Citrus Certifed course has practical elements, Therefore, delegates must inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in conducting elements of this training course.
Taking this course does not qualify the delegate for entry into confined spaces - it is knowledge and understanding-based training.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.