On sites with well-maintained haul roads, a Rigid Chassis Dump Truck is ideal, as the surface can handle the higher payload of the truck’s rigid-frame, heavy rear-wheel drive design. They are ideal for operations at quarries, surface mines, road works and long-term projects that require movement of large volumes of materials and quick load times to move long distances across a few hard, flat, established roads at speed.
A Rigid Chassis Dump Truck requires a different knowledge a skill set to its articulated and rear-loading counterparts. So, while a Dump Truck may look like a relatively simple machine to operate, there is more that workers need to know to handle each type safely, correctly and productively.
This A57 CPCS certification delivers the necessary skills, knowledge, and understanding of safely using a Rigid Chassis Dump Truck in four sub-categories - A57A up to 15 tonnes, A57B up to 50 tonnes, A57C unlimited loads (wheeled) and A57D up to 20 tonnes (tracked). It is specifically aimed at Plant Operators who require practical and theory-based training and assessment on a Dump Truck with a rigid chassis.
A mix of practical and theory-based exercises and tutorials take delegates through manufacturer information and general knowledge of Rigid Chassis Dump Trucks. In addition, they’ll participate in practical activities to recognise each type of truck's components and functions, best practices and operating methods.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with regulations. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and delegates will benefit from our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach.
Our occupationally and technically-experienced trainers coach delegates on this course, completing the session with a practical observation and short answer question paper. They must pass the assessment to qualify for the CPCS red card (Trained Operator), valid for two years per category held.
This training is essential for workers to safely operate an Rigid Chassis Dump Truck up to and over 20 tonnes, wheeled and tracked. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, understand procedures and appropriate documentation and classifications.
The learnings will take delegates through;
- The nature of the construction industry and their role and responsibilities as a plant operator
- Naming and explaining the purpose of principal components, basic construction, controls and terminology of a Rigid Chassis Dump Truck
- Manufacturer’s requirements as per the operator's handbook and relevant regulations and legislation
- All pre-use checks for a Rigid Chassis Dump Truck
- Configuring the machinery to be set for travel (site and highway)
- Travelling over rough, undulating ground, steep inclines and level surfaces – loaded and unloaded relevant to Rigid Chassis Dump Trucks
- Manoeuvring in confined spaces whilst carrying loads
- Tipping and loading area suitability
- Actions required for hazards, underground and overhead services
- Positioning to receive loads
- Loading procedures
- Load integrity and security
- Transferring loads to different locations
- Discharging loads into trenches and over edges
- Maintaining safe and tidy working areas
- Shut down and secure procedures
- Loading and unloading procedures for machine transporting
At the end of the training, successful delegates will:
- Have a working knowledge of the manufacturer’s handbook for a Rigid Chassis Dump Truck
- Confidently locate and identify the major components of the machine and explain their functions
- Be able to locate and identify key controls on a Rigid Chassis Dump Truck and explain their functions
- Conduct all pre-operational and running checks following manufacturer's and legislative requirements
- Be able to prepare a Rigid Chassis Dump Truck for use and operate the machine safely and efficiently adhering to all A57 usage and protocols
- Perform specific loading and unloading tasks and operations as practiced throughout the course
- Confidently carry out all end of work and shut down procedures
Upon successfully completing the course, delegates receive their CPCS red card (Trained Operator), valid for two years per category held.
Who Should Attend?
This Rigid Chassis Dump Truck CPCS Certification is for Plant Operators who need practical and theory training and assessment on an Articulated Dump Truck up to and over 20 tonnes to do their job. While it is ideal for delegates to have some machinery experience, it is not mandatory.
The course is available to those who need the whole package and assessment-only options.
This comprehensive course trains delegates to safely and responsibly operate a Rigid Chassis Dump Truck on and off-site. The training options vary to accommodate novices and seasoned delegates:
- Novice training - four days with a maximum of two delegates
- Preperation and Testing – two days with day one for training and day two for test with a maximum of three delegates.
Test only - one-day session with a maximum of three delegates
Training durations will change depending on the amount of delegates, one-to-one and group training sessions are also available. Please get in touch with the team to find out more.
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training, working tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We have a team of specialist Plant and Lifting trainers and assessors, coaching and testing nationwide to meet any specific needs of our clients. With a wealth of experience and expertise, they have successfully trained over 25,000 delegates across the Plant and NVQ training categories.
Our facilities include six technical centres with the capacity for delivering Plant Training across the UK. And our national, accredited Training and Test Centres are fully equipped to provide In-House and CPCS accredited courses. In addition, as an approved NPORS training provider, we can also offer on-site training and testing nationwide.
Finally, as an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) by CITB, we provide quality training that meets the industry-approved standards.
Things You Need to Know
This CPCS A57 Certifed course has practical elements, so delegates must inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in any elements of the training.
Delegates must pass the CSCS Health, Safety and Environment touchscreen test for Operatives within the past two years.
For training held at your location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. In addition, please ensure that the practical area has been risk-assessed, is free from harm, and is ideal for training.
If you are a CITB Levy payer, you can claim a CITB Grant for this course. Once you have booked please contact us with your CITB number and we can assist you in claiming the funds.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.