The Excavator 180 is a versatile machine essential to a range of jobs on-site. Sometimes referred to as a backhoe, thanks to the scooping action of the shovel, it excavates and moves material left to right through 180°. Operating this and any other excavation machinery requires attention and skill to ensure the safety of everyone working on and near the dig site.
This CPCS certification tests the operator’s skills, knowledge, and understanding of Excavator 180s and how to safely use them to move loads of five tonnes or less. It is specifically aimed at experienced plant operators who require practical and theory-based training on an Excavator 180 working in the construction industry.
A mix of practical and theory-based exercises assess delegates manufacturer information, general knowledge and awareness of an Excavator 180. They’ll participate in practical activities to test recognition of machine components and functions, best practices and operating methods.
The assessment reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with regulations. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and delegates will benefit from our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach.
Our occupationally and technically-experienced trainers test delegates with a practical observation and short answer question paper. They must pass the assessment to qualify for the Red Trained Operator CPCS card, valid for two years.
This training is essential for workers to operate an Excavator 180 safely. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, and understand procedures, appropriate documentation and classifications.
The course content includes:
- Health and safety legislation for Plant Operators
- Theoretical knowledge of plant operations and the relevancy to the Excavator 180
- Operator's responsibilities, including daily/weekly checks of the machinery and maintenance
- Practical operation techniques and procedures, including machine set-up and shut-down
- Naming and explaining the purpose of principal components, the basic construction, controls and terminology
- Manufacturer’s requirements as per the operator’s handbook, relevant regulations and legislation
- Configuring the machinery ready excavation, site and highway travel
- Travelling over rough, undulating ground, steep inclines and level surfaces
- Manoeuvring in confined spaces
- Hazards, underground and overhead services
- Different types of excavations on various grounds
- Placing materials into transporting vehicles and hoppers
- Grading spread out and levelling ground materials
- Attaching and removing buckets
- Lifting, moving and placing basic slung loads with the rear boom
- Maintaining safe and tidy working areas
- Carrying out shut-down and securing procedures
- Loading and unloading procedures for machine transporting
On successful completion of the course, delegates receive their Red Trained Operator CPCS card, valid for two years.
Who Should Attend?
This Excavator 180 (below five tonnes) CPCS Certification is for Plant Operators who need practical and theory training and assessment on an Excavator 180 to carry out their work. While it is desirable for delegates to have some machinery experience, it is not mandatory.
The course is available to those who need novice training and test-only options.
This comprehensive course trains delegates to safely and responsibly work with an Excavator 180 on-site. The training options vary to accommodate novices and seasoned delegates:
- Novice training - eight days with a maximum of two delegates
- Preparation and Testing – two-day course split with training on day one and test on day two for a maximum of two delegates
- Test only - one-day with a maximum of two delegates
Group courses and one-to-one testing options are also available. Please contact our customer team to find out more.
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training, working tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We have over 30 specialist Plant and Lifting trainers and assessors, coaching and testing nationwide to meet any specific needs of our clients. With a wealth of experience and expertise, they have successfully trained over 25,000 delegates across the Plant and NVQ training categories.
Our facilities include six technical centres with the capacity for delivering Plant Training across the UK. And our national, accredited Training and Test Centres are fully equipped to provide CPCS and CSCS accredited courses. In addition, as an approved NPORS training provider, we can also offer on-site training and testing nationwide.
Finally, as an Approved Training Organisation by CITB, we provide quality training that meets the industry-approved standards (ATO).
Things You Need to Know
To participate, all delegates need to have passed the CSCS Health, Safety and Environment touchscreen test for Operatives within the past two years.
This CPCS Certifed course has practical elements, so delegates must inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations, or are taking any medication which may create difficulties in participating.
If you are a CITB Levy payer, you can claim a CITB Grant for this course. Once you have booked please contact us with your CITB number and we can assist you in claiming the funds.
Yes - delegates need to have a good understanding of the English language to take the test.
No, but there are practical elements, so delegates must inform their trainer if there is anything they need to consider before starting.
No, this training needs to be done at an accredited training centre.
No - this qualification will only allow you to operate the below 5 tonnes.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.