A lorry loader is a crane mounted on a vehicle for loading on-site. The mobile solution for lifting operations, lorry loaders are widely used in construction and utility works, street works, and machinery, container, and portable unit installation. They are often seen with a clam-shell bucket fitting or grab attachments that allow for quick and straightforward lifting and manoeuvre. In general transport and haulage, they work with a crane hook and lifting accessories, proving to be a versatile piece of lifting machinery.
This CPCS Lorry Loader A36 full endorsed training gives delegates the practical skills and theoretical knowledge of relevant operational and safety requirements applicable to lorry loader operators (such as Hiab) working in the construction industry and allied environments.
Through a mix of practical and theory-based exercises and tutorials, delegates will cover manufacturer and general knowledge and awareness of lifting operations use while participating in practical plant operating activities, safety procedures, and best practices for Lorry Loader use.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with regulations. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and we can tailor courses to fit your specific training needs, with the added flexibility provided by our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach to how we work.
Our occupationally and technically-experienced trainers coach delegates on this course, completing the session with a question and answer paper and practical assessment to follow. They must pass the assessment to qualify for the CPCS Red Trained Operator Card.
This training is for operators with sufficient knowledge and practical experience to pass the theory and practical elements for a CPCS Trained Operator Card. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, and understand procedures, documentation, and classifications. We can arrange pre-test training and assessment where required.
Delegates will need to inform us of the endorsements needed when booking:
- Endorsement A – Hook- loads connected to boom mounted hook via lifting accessories
- Endorsement B - Clamshell Bucket – boom mounted bucket to load/unload loose materials/soils/aggregates etc
- Endorsement C – Hydraulic Clamp- boom mounted clamp to load/unload solid loads, i.e. brick stacks
The course content includes:
- The nature of the industry sector and their role and responsibilities as a plant operator
- Naming and explaining the purpose, construction, controls and terminology of principle components
- Manufacturer’s requirements as per the operators' handbook, additional information sources and relevant regulations and legislation
- All relevant documentation
- All pre-use checks on the host vehicle and loader crane
- Configuring the vehicle and loader for travel
- Travelling the vehicle to an area of work
- Manoeuvring in confined spaces
- Positioning and configuring the vehicle and loader crane for lifting duties
- Deploying the stabilisers
- Actions to take for hazards, underground and overhead services
- Rated Capacity Indicators or Load Moment Indicators compliance
- Identifying weights and centres of gravity
- Lifting various loads using the full radius and slewing capabilities of the loader
- Placing loads accurately at designated positions, including on and from the vehicle
- The different types of compatible lifting accessories
- How to maintain safe working situations
At the end of the training, successful delegates will qualify for their Red Trained Operator CPCS Card, valid for two years.
Who Should Attend?
The CPCS Lorry Loader A36 course is suitable for workers with sufficient knowledge and practical experience to pass the theory and practical elements for a CPCS Trained Operator Card. We can arrange pre-test training and assessment.
This comprehensive training has varying options depending on the level of participant:
- Novice - five days with a maximum of three delegates
- Prep and Test – two-days, day-one is used for training with testing on day-two for a maximum of three delegates
- Test Only – one-day with a maximum of three delegates
One-to-one and dedicated group training sessions are available. Please get in touch with the team to find out more.
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training, working tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We have over 30 specialist Plant and Lifting trainers and assessors, coaching and testing nationwide to meet any specific needs of our clients. With a wealth of experience and expertise, they have successfully trained over 25,000 delegates across the Plant and NVQ training categories.
Our facilities include six technical centres with the capacity for delivering Plant Training across the UK. And our national, accredited Training and Test Centres are fully equipped to provide CPCS and CSCS accredited courses. In addition, as an approved NPORS training provider, we can also offer on-site training and testing nationwide.
Finally, as an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) by CITB, we provide quality training that meets the industry-approved standards.
Things You Need to Know
To participate, all delegates need to have passed the CSCS Health, Safety and Environment touchscreen test for Operatives within the last two years.
This CPCS Certifed course has practical elements. Delegates must inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues or special considerations that may create difficulties in participating.
If you are a CITB Levy payer, you can claim a CITB Grant for this course. Once you have booked please contact us with your CITB number and we can assist you in claiming the funds.
This card is valid for two years per category, and within this time, they must complete the NVQ to convert from the Red CPCS card to the Blue CPCS card, which is valid for five years.
No, training and testing for this category needs to take place at an accredited CPCS Test Centre.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.