A high-risk confined space with an NC4 classification is typically a space posing a specific risk to workers. They cannot eliminate or control the risks to an acceptable level and usually require breathing apparatus to operate in the area. Entry may involve complex procedures, but more crucially, the atmosphere is already hazardous or likely to become dangerous as the job progresses, hence the requirement for breathing apparatus and emergency rescue team protocol.
The City and Guild’s Level 2 Award in Working in High-Risk Confined Spaces Course (6160-03) equips delegates with the necessary skills and knowledge to work safely as part of a team in classified high-risk confined spaces. Delegates will learn and understand the procedures and equipment they need to perform their work safely, aligning with industry standards and regulations. This course also covers medium risk entry with the safe use of escape sets.
This course aims to educate delegates through content that reflects the national occupational standard (NOS) for high-risk related confined space environments - NC4 classification.
A physically demanding course, the majority of the learning and assessment is practical, including confined space entry and simulation in one of our custom-built high-risk confined spaces tailored to your needs - tunnels, shafts, gas works, for example. The course practical elements are supplemented with classroom-based tutorials to prepare delegates for a final examination at the end of day three.
Our occupation-specific trainers will coach delegates over the three-day course, finishing with a practical observation and short answer question paper assessment. They must pass both elements of the course to qualify.
In this comprehensive course, delegates will cover preparations to enter and work safely in a high-risk environment, enter and exit confined spaces safely, use equipment and tools, follow procedures, and deal with emergencies and major incidents effectively.
The practical and theoretical learnings will equip delegates to;
- Understand the relevant and current confined space legislation
- Recognise and classify a high-risk confined space
- Produce safe systems of work for entry into high-risk confined spaces, including a point of works risk assessment.
- Recognise diseases and understand the necessary personal hygiene requirements associated with high-risk confined spaces
- Know how to correctly and safely use atmospheric monitoring equipment
- Perform an entry using self-contained breathing apparatus
At the end of this course, successful delegates will know with confidence;
- The dangers associated with high-risk confined space working
- How to classify a high-risk confined space
- How to risk assess a high-risk confined space
- The use of self-contained breathing apparatus
- Correct and safe use of atmospheric monitoring equipment
- How to use personal protective equipment, i.e. harnesses and access equipment
- The types and safe use of escape breathing apparatus and self-contained breathing apparatus
- The necessary manning levels - delegates must understand and be able to implement proper working procedures considering their risk assessment
- Why there is a need for periodic examinations of equipment
- The emergency procedures when working in a high-risk confined space
Who Should Attend?
This City & Guilds Level 2 award is for anyone working in a classified high-risk environment over 16 years of age and is medically fit to take the qualification - a mandatory requirement in line with current industry regulations.
In this three day course, we train participants to be ready to work safely and effectively in high-risk confined spaces on completion and certification.
Quality and the customer experience are paramount to us here at Citrus. We work tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We proudly work with 85 of the country’s top 100 building services companies providing courses nationwide. Our purpose-built, simulated confined space environments with integrated surveillance are approved by City & Guilds, meaning we can provide the most realistic experience in the market.
To supplement our excellent facilities, we can provide the latest, cutting-edge equipment for all delegates during training through our sister company, Altitude Safety, which also offers over 10,000 safety products and equipment from leading manufacturers available to hire or purchase.
And crucially, our dedicated trainers provide expert knowledge and real-world experience to manage the most complex and high-risk, hazardous scenarios in confined space training. As a result, we’ve successfully delivered training for over 35,000 delegates across the Confined Space and City & Guilds training category.
Things You Need to Know
This course has practical elements. Therefore, it is crucial that delegates inform their trainer if they have any severe health issues, physical restrictions, special considerations, or are taking any medication that may cause difficulties in taking part in elements of the training.
This course requires delegates to have a clean-shaven appearance, nothing is permitted to interfere with the mask or the seals.
- City & Guilds Level 2 Award in Working in Low Risk Confined Spaces: (6160-01)
- City & Guilds Level 2 Award in Working in Medium Risk Confined Spaces: (6160-02)
- City & Guilds Level 3 Award in Control Entry and Arrangements for Confined Spaces: (6160-04)
- City & Guilds Level 2 Award in Entrant and Entry Controller for Confined Spaces (Medium Risk) (6160-09)
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.