The truly mobile solution for lifting operations, a lorry loader is a crane mounted on a vehicle for loading and unloading that vehicle. Lorry loaders are widely used in construction and utility works, street works, machinery installation and moving, container and portable unit installation, and are often seen with a clam-shell bucket fitting or grab attachments. In general transport and haulage, they work with a crane hook and lifting accessories, demonstrating a versatile piece of lifting machinery.
This Citrus certification delivers the necessary skills, knowledge, and understanding of lorry loading operations, identifying and eliminating bad operational habits and enforcing safe practice. It is specifically aimed at Plant Operators who require practical and theory-based training and assessment to operate a lorry loader safely.
With a mix of practical and theory-based exercises and tutorials, delegates will learn how to operate a lorry loader on construction sites, ensuring compliance with the law and securing the health and safety of all parties through stringent safety procedures and best practices.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with regulations. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and we can tailor courses to fit your specific training needs, with the added flexibility provided by our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach to how we work.
Our occupationally and technically-experienced trainers coach delegates on this course, assessing throughout and completing the session with a question and answer paper and a practical lorry loader test to follow. They must pass the assessment to qualify for the Citrus Certificate and Citrus ID Card, valid for three years.
This training is essential for workers to supervise lifting operations. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, understand procedures and appropriate documentation and classifications.
The learnings will take delegates through;
- The industry sector and their role and responsibilities as a plant operator
- Critical components, the basic construction, controls and terminology of a Lorry Loader
- Manufacturer’s requirements as per the operators' handbook and additional sources
- All relevant regulations and legislation
- All relevant documentation
- Pre-use checks on host vehicle and loader crane
- Configuring the vehicle and loader for travel
- Travelling the vehicle to an area of work
- Manoeuvring safely in confined spaces
- Positioning and configuring the vehicle and loader crane for lifting duties
- Deploying the stabilisers
- Hazards, underground and overhead services
- Rated Capacity Indicators or Load Moment Indicators
- Weights and centres of gravity
- Lifting various loads using the full radius and slewing capabilities of the loader
- Placing loads accurately at designated positions including on and from the vehicle
- Different types of compatible lifting accessories
- Maintaining safe working situations
At the end of the training, successful delegates will be able to:
- Implement safe loading operations
- Understand and carry out Loader travelling and positioning, including associated safety devices
- Conduct routine maintenance on loading equipment
- Understand and implement health and safety legislation relevant to plant operators and specifically for Lorry Loaders
- Retain theoretical knowledge of plant operations
- Understand and execute their responsibilities with daily/weekly checks of the Loader
- Set up a lorry and lorry loader
- Lift various loads to and from lorry bed and ground level
- Confidently use all aspects of the equipment following the operator’s manual
On successful completion of the course, delegates receive their Citrus Certificate and Citrus Training ID card, valid for three years.
Who Should Attend?
This Citrus Certification is for Plant Operators who need practical and theory training and assessment to safely use a lorry loader to carry out their work. The course is available to those who need the whole package and assessment-only options.
Our comprehensive course trains delegates to safely and responsibly use a lorry loader on-site. The training options vary to accommodate novices and seasoned delegates alike:
Novice training - two days with a maximum of three delegates
Refresher training – two days with day one for training and day two for assessment with a maximum of three delegates
Preparation and Testing – one day course split with training in the morning and assessment in the afternoon for a maximum of four delegates
Assessment only - one-day session with a maximum of six delegates
There are also opportunities to train one-to-one and in groups. Speak to our team to find out more.
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training, working tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We have over 30 specialist plant and lifting trainers and assessors, coaching and testing nationwide to meet any specific needs of our clients. With a wealth of experience and expertise, they have successfully trained over 25,000 delegates across the Plant and NVQ training categories.
Our facilities include six technical centres with the capacity for delivering Plant Training across the UK. And our national, accredited Training and Test Centres are fully equipped to provide CPCS and CSCS accredited courses. In addition, as an approved NPORS training provider, we can also offer on-site training and testing nationwide.
Finally, as an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) by CITB, we provide quality training that meets the industry-approved standards.
Things You Need to Know
If you are a CITB Levy payer, you can claim a CITB Grant for this course. Once you have booked please contact us with your CITB number and we can assist you in claiming the funds.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.