A common tool on-site, abrasive wheels are designed for cutting and grinding materials such as metal, stone, concrete and hardwood. The wheels are a component of various tools rather than a stand-alone item, as such, you will find them on:
- Angle Grinders
- Bench Grinders
- Petrol Cut Off Saws (or Chop Saws)
- Table Saws
The abrasive finish comes from either diamond or CBN grains resulting in a superabarasve finish, or silicon carbide, aluminium oxide, or ceramic grains known as conventional abrasives. Whichever finish is applied, the result is a hardwearing tool that can make precise cuts, polishes and finishes on various hardwearing surfaces. In the market, you will see them advertised as cut off wheels, diamond tipped wheels, cone wheels, cylinder wheels, tapered wheels and straight-sided wheels.
This NPORS Abrasive Wheels Awareness N301 certification delivers the necessary skills, knowledge, and understanding of safely using Abrasive Wheel power tools and eliminating any bad habits present or forming in operation. It is specifically aimed at Plant Operators who require practical and theory-based training and assessment to use or work with Abrasive Wheels.
A mix of practical and theory-based exercises and tutorials take delegates through manufacturer information and general knowledge of Abrasive Wheels. In addition, they’ll participate in practical activities to recognise machine components and functions, best practices and safe operating methods.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with NPORS. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and delegates will benefit from our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach.
Our occupationally and technically-experienced trainers coach delegates on this course, completing the session with a practical observation and short answer question paper. They must pass the assessment to qualify for the National Plant Operators Registration Scheme (NPORS) Operator Card.
This training is essential for workers to operate Abrasive Wheel power tools safely. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, and understand procedures, appropriate documentation and classifications.
Course content includes:
- Locating and identifying key controls, explaining their functions
- Conducting all pre-operational checks following manufacturer's and legislative requirements
- Identifying and maintaining PPE appropriate for cutting or grinding machines
- Selecting suitable types of abrasive wheel and machine relative to the work
- All necessary safety checks at the work area and setting up a safety zone
- Preparing the machine for use and operating machinery safely and efficiently
- Environmental impact and considerations
- Storage and transport of an abrasive wheel machine
At the end of the training, successful delegates will:
- Confidently locate and identify the key controls and functions of their abrasive wheel power tools and explain their functions
- Conduct all pre-operational and running checks following manufacturer's and legislative requirements
- Be able to prepare an abrasive wheel tool for use and operate the machine safely and efficiently following NPORS guidance
- Safely store and transport their abrasive wheel machinery
- Confidently carry out all end-of-work and shut down procedures
Upon successfully completing the course, delegates receive their Operators card, valid for three to five years depending on sector-specific or in-company requirements.
Who Should Attend?
This NPORS Abrasive Wheel Awareness N301 Certification is for Plant Operators who need practical and theoretical training and assessment to safely do their job.
This comprehensive course trains delegates to safely and responsibly work with Abrasive Wheels on-site. The training options vary to accommodate novices and seasoned delegates:
- Novice training – one-day with a maximum of six delegates
- Refresher/Experienced training – one-day with a maximum of six delegates
- Assessment only - one-day session with a maximum of four delegates
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training, working tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We have specialist Tools and Equipment trainers and assessors with a wealth of experience and expertise, coaching and testing nationwide to meet any specific needs of our clients.
Our facilities include six technical centres with the capacity for delivering Plant Training across the UK. And our national, accredited Training and Test Centres are fully equipped to provide CPCS and CSCS accredited courses. In addition, as an approved NPORS training provider, we can also offer on-site training and testing nationwide.
Finally, as an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) by CITB, we provide quality training that meets the industry-approved standards.
Things You Need to Know
This Abrasive Wheels Awareness course has practical elements, so delegates must inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in taking the training.
For training held at your location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. In addition, please ensure that the practical area has been risk-assessed, is free from harm, and is ideal for training.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.