Put simply, the appointed person in lifting operations is responsible for the safe execution of a lifting operation. While they can delegate duties and responsibilities, the appointed person is responsible for ensuring that every lifting operation is properly planned, appropriately supervised and carried out in a safe manner.
This NPORS certification delivers the necessary skills, knowledge, and understanding of lifting operations, identifying and enforcing safe practice. It is specifically aimed at supervisors and managers who require training and assessment as an appointed person.
Theory-based training with exercises and tutorials, delegates will cover manufacturer, and general knowledge and awareness of lifting operations use while participating in practical plant operating activities, safety procedures, and best practices.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with BS7121. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and we can tailor courses to fit your specific training needs, with the added flexibility provided by our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach to how we work.
Our occupationally and technically-experienced trainers guide delegates on this course, completing the session with an assessment. They must pass to qualify for the:
- NPORS/CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card, valid for two years.
- Traditional Operators card, valid for three to five years depending on sector-specific or in-company requirements
This training is for supervisors and managers that need to qualify as an Appointed Person on site. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, and understand procedures and appropriate documentation and classifications.
The learnings will take delegates through;
- To train and assess delegates on their responsibilities as an Appointed Person.
- Explain the duties and responsibilities of Crane supervisor, operator, Slinger, Crane erector and maintenance team.
- Interpret and extract information on documentation including legislation, regulations, codes of practice that relate to all lifting operation, including BS7121
- Demonstrate and explain the selection of correct cranes for specified lifts, ensuring correct duties charts, range diagrams and specification sheets
- Demonstrate how to calculate point loadings and outrigger loadings, spreader mat types and sizes
- Different slinging techniques, calculating sling sizes, angles, balanced and unbalanced, centre of gravity and loose loads
At the end of the training, successful delegates will be able to:
- Explain the importance of completing a report on a lfiting operation
- Identify and demonstrate how to plan an area with exclusion zones for lifting operations, identifying any proximity/underground hazards from supplied plans and drawings.
- Identify safe access and egress before, during, and after any lifting operations and for different types of lifting equipment
- Demonstrate how to construct a safe system of work by producing risk assessments, method statements and lift plans with the information supplied.
- prepare and explain lift plan information to all personnel involve in lifting operations.
- Specify and explain the positioning of the crane and load, identifying limiting factors and immovable obstructions that must be considered.
On successful completion of the course:
Construction industry delegates
Operators will receive a Trained Operator CSCS/NPORS Card valid for two years from the test date.
In order to upgrade your CSCS/NPORS card you need to achieve the requisite (S)NVQ with the units applicable to the category (S) of plant held on their trained operator card.
Non-construction industry delegates
Anyone operating in industry sectors other than construction is not required to hold an operator card bearing the CSCS logo and can have the NPORS (Traditional) Operator Card.
End users can select three or five-year registrations for this card depending on sector-specific or in-company requirements.
Who Should Attend?
This Appointed Person programme is for managers, supervisors and anyone with day-to-day responsibilities in planning and approving safe systems of work for lifting operations.
This comprehensive course trains delegates to become and Appointed Person. The training options vary to accommodate novices and seasoned delegates:
Novice training - five days with a maximum of six delegates
Refresher training – one day with a maximum of six delegates
One-to-one and dedicated group training sessions are available. Please get in touch with the team to find out more.
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training, working tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We have over 30 specialist Plant and Lifting trainers and assessors, coaching and testing nationwide to meet any specific needs of our clients. With a wealth of experience and expertise, they have successfully trained over 25,000 delegates across the Plant and NVQ training categories.
Our facilities include six technical centres with the capacity for delivering Plant Training across the UK. And our national, accredited Training and Test Centres are fully equipped to provide.
CPCS and CSCS accredited courses. In addition, as an approved NPORS training provider, we can also offer on-site training and testing nationwide.
Finally, as an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) by CITB, we provide quality training that meets the industry-approved standards .
Things You Need to Know
Delegates will ideally have knowledge and experience of cranes and lifting operations. For those with little or no, we advise gaining some core knowledge, for example, studying BS7121 and their own company standards for lifting operations, crane load charts and other supporting material. This will significantly aid their learning for the Appointed Person course.
While the training is theory-based, we advise delegates to inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in conducting elements of this training course.
For training held at your location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. In addition, please ensure that the practical area has been risk-assessed, is free from harm, and is ideal for training.
If you are a CITB Levy payer, you can claim a CITB Grant for this course. Once you have booked please contact us with your CITB number and we can assist you in claiming the funds.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.