The most common forklift truck, the Industrial Counterbalance Lift Truck, features two forks at the front, driving up close to a load to pick it up and move it. So-called a counterweight due to weight at the vehicle's rear compensating for the front's heavy load.
Popular machines on-site, plant operators use Industrial Counterbalance Lift Trucks indoors or outdoors for anything from warehouse picking to construction site material moving and placement. Generally powered by gas, diesel, or electricity, they are a versatile solution for various jobs and environments.
This N001 NPORS certification delivers the necessary skills, knowledge, and understanding to use an Industrial Counterbalance Lift Truck safely and eliminate any bad operational habits in the process. It is specifically aimed at Plant Operators who require practical and theory-based training and assessment on a Counterbalanced Forklift to carry out their work.
A mix of practical and theory-based exercises and tutorials take delegates through manufacturer information and general knowledge of an Industrial Counterbalance Lift Truck to standards set out by NPORS. In addition, they’ll participate in several practical activities to recognise the machine’s components and functions, best practices and operating methods.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with regulations. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and delegates will benefit from our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach.
Our occupationally and technically-experienced trainers coach delegates on this course, completing the session with a question and answer paper and practical assessment to follow. They must pass the assessment to qualify for:
- NPORS/CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card, valid for two years.
- Traditional Operators card, valid for three to five years depending on sector-specific or in-company requirements
This training is essential for workers to operate an Industrial Counterbalance Lift Trucy safely. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, understand procedures and appropriate documentation and classifications.
The learnings will take delegates through:
- A basic understanding of the industry, the dangers of working in the industry and responsibilities as a plant operator
- Working knowledge of the manufacturer’s handbook for an Industrial Counterbalanced Lift Truck
- The major components of the truck and explaining their functions
- Steering, driving and braking controls and explain their functions
- All pre-operational checks, following manufacturer and legislative requirements
- Safely mounting and dismounting the machine
- Starting and stopping the engine
- Safely moving the forklift off and stopping it safely
- Configuring the machine for travel and manoeuvring it safely across varying terrain in open and confined areas
- All necessary safety checks at the work area.
- Manoeuvring the machine to the work area and correctly configuring it to carry out lifting and load handling activities
- Fit, adjust and or remove attachments
- All end of shift and shut down procedures for an Industrial Counterbalanced Lift Truck
At the end of the training, successful delegates will:
- Have a working knowledge of the manufacturer’s handbook for the Industrial Counterbalance Lift Truck
- Confidently locate and identify the major components of the forklift and explain their functions
- Be able to locate and identify key controls and explain their functions
- Conduct all pre-operational and running checks following manufacturer's and legislative requirements
- Be able to prepare an Industrial Counterbalanced Lift Truck for use and operate the machine safely and efficiently to NPORS standards
- Perform specific loading and unloading tasks and operations as practiced throughout the course
- Confidently carry out all end of work and shut down procedures for an Industrial Counterbalanced Lift Truck
On successful completion of the course:
Construction industry delegates
Operators will receive a Trained Operator CSCS/NPORS Card valid for two years from the test date.
In order to upgrade your CSCS/NPORS card you need to achieve the requisite (S)NVQ with the units applicable to the category (S) of plant held on their trained operator card.
Non-construction industry delegates
Anyone operating in industry sectors other than construction is not required to hold an operator card bearing the CSCS logo and can have the NPORS (Traditional) Operator Card.
End users can select three or five-year registrations for this card depending on sector-specific or in-company requirements.
Who Should Attend?
This NPORS N001 Industrial Counterbalance Lift Truck Certification is for Plant Operators who need practical and theory training and assessment on a Counterbalanced Forklift to do their job. While it is ideal for delegates to have some forklift experience, it is not mandatory.
The course is available to those who need the whole package and assessment-only options.
There are three routes with NPORS for training to operate an Industrial Counterbalance Lift Truck, accomodating novices and seasoned delegates:
Novice training - five days with a maximum of three delegates
Refresher training – two days with day one for training and day two for assessment with a maximum of three delegates
Assessment only - one-day session with a maximum of four delegates
Group sessions and one-to-one training are available. Please contact our customer service team to find out more.
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training, working tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We have over 30 specialist Plant and Lifting trainers and assessors, coaching and testing nationwide to meet any specific needs of our clients. With a wealth of experience and expertise, they have successfully trained over 25,000 delegates across the Plant and NVQ training categories.
Our facilities include six technical centres with the capacity for delivering Plant Training across the UK. And our national, accredited Training and Test Centres are fully equipped to provide CPCS and CSCS accredited courses. In addition, as an approved NPORS training provider, we can also offer on-site training and testing nationwide.
Finally, as an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) by CITB, we provide quality training that meets the industry-approved standards.
Things You Need to Know
This NPORS Certifed course has practical elements, so delegates must inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in any elements of the training.
For training held at your location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. In addition, please ensure that the practical area has been risk-assessed, is free from harm, and is ideal for training.
If you are a CITB Levy payer, you can claim a CITB Grant for this course. Once you have booked please contact us with your CITB number and we can assist you in claiming the funds.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.