Wheeled Loading Shovel performs heavy-duty earthwork and construction operations, such as extracting from a stockpile or bank and loading vehicles. A tractor-like vehicle with a shovel attachment, the recycling and waste sector in particular often uses the wheeled style machine, allowing versatility of movement and loading capabilities.
This Loading Shovel N209 NPORS certification delivers the necessary skills, knowledge, and understanding to operate a loading shovel safely and effectively. It is for plant operators who require practical and theory-based training and assessment to use a loading shovel on-site.
Through a mix of practical and theory-based exercises and tutorials, delegates will cover manufacturer and general knowledge and responsibilities using a loading shovel while participating in practical plant operating activities, safety procedures, and best practices.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with regulations standards set by NPORS. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and delegates will benefit from our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach.
Occupationally and technically-experienced trainers coach delegates on this course, completing the session with an NPORS practical observation and short answer question paper. They must pass the assessment to qualify for:
- NPORS/CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card, valid for two years.
- Traditional Operators card, valid for three to five years depending on sector-specific or in-company requirements
This training is essential for workers to operate a loading shovel safely. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, and understand procedures, appropriate documentation and classifications.
The course content includes:
- The nature of the industry sector and their role and responsibilities as a plant operator
- The purpose, basic construction, controls and terminology of principal components
- All manufacturer’s requirements as per the operator’s handbook, additional information sources and relevant regulations and legislation
- All pre-use checks for wheeled loading shovels
- Configuring and setting the plant for site and highway travel
- Travelling over rough, undulating ground, substantial inclines and level surfaces; laden and unladen
- Manoeuvring in confined spaces
- Configuring and setting the wheeled loading shovel for extraction and loading duties
- All actions required for hazards, underground and overhead services
- Extracting differing types of materials from stockpiles and other sources
- Forming stores of segregated materials and constructing (temporary) ramps
- Sorting and placing materials into transporting vehicles and hoppers
- Spreading and levelling ground and materials
- Carrying out shut down and securing procedures for a wheeled loading shovel
- Explaining the loading and unloading procedures for machine transporting
At the end of the training, successful delegates can safely and competently operate a loading shovel on a construction site.
Depending on the certification route they wish to take, the delegate will receive:
Construction industry delegates
Operators will receive a Trained Operator CSCS/NPORS Card valid for two years from the test date.
In order to upgrade your CSCS/NPORS card you need to achieve the requisite (S)NVQ with the units applicable to the category (S) of plant held on their trained operator card
Non-construction industry delegates
Anyone operating in industry sectors other than construction is not required to hold an operator card bearing the CSCS logo and can have the NPORS (Traditional) Operator Card.
End users can select three or five-year registrations for this card depending on sector-specific or in-company requirements.
Who Should Attend?
This Loading Shovel N209 NPORS Certification is for anyone requiring training and assessment to work with a loading shovel.
This comprehensive course trains delegates to safely and responsibly work a loading shovel on-site. The training options vary to accommodate novices and seasoned delegates:
Novice training - five days with a maximum of three delegates
Refresher training – one-day with a maximum of three delegates
Assessment only - one-day with a maximum of six delegates
One-to-one and group training sessions are available. Please get in touch with our team to find out more.
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training, working tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We have over 30 specialist Plant and Lifting trainers and assessors, coaching and testing nationwide to meet any specific needs of our clients. With a wealth of experience and expertise, they have successfully trained over 25,000 delegates across the Plant and NVQ training categories.
Our facilities include six technical centres with the capacity for delivering Plant Training across the UK. And our national, accredited Training and Test Centres are fully equipped to provide CPCS and CSCS accredited courses. In addition, as an approved NPORS training provider, we can also offer on-site training and testing nationwide.
Finally, as an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) by CITB, we provide quality training that meets the industry-approved standards.
Things You Need to Know
This Loading Shovel N209 NPORS course has practical elements, so delegates must inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in any elements of the training.
For training held at your location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. In addition, please ensure that the practical area has been risk-assessed, is free from harm, and is ideal for training.
If you are a CITB Levy payer, you can claim a CITB Grant for this course. Once you have booked please contact us with your CITB number and we can assist you in claiming the funds.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.