As the eyes and ears of the crane operator, a slinger signaller works with lifting teams to provide safe direction and supervision to the crane operator. Working as an integral part of the lifting team, the slinger signaller attaches and secures loads using non-specialised lifting accessories, signals the movement of suspended loads and guides them to an agreed destination, leaving the load in a safe condition. In addition, through agreed communication techniques, they ensure the safety of other workers or site visitors in the area and are one of the most critical on-site workers.
The role is defined by two parts:
- Slinging - safely connecting and securing different types of loads to a lifting hook using relevant accessories and procedures
- Signalling - communicating information to the lifting equipment operator and others involved in the lift using one or more manual, hand and verbal instructions as agreed
This Slinger/Signaller N402 NPORS certification delivers the necessary skills, knowledge, and understanding to operate as a slinger/signaller safely and effectively. It is for plant operators who require practical and theory-based training and assessment to work as a slinger/signaller on site.
Through a mix of practical and theory-based exercises and tutorials, delegates will cover manufacturer and general knowledge and responsibilities when conducting lifting operations while participating in practical plant operating activities, safety procedures, and best practices.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with regulations standards set by NPORS. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and delegates will benefit from our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach.
Occupationally and technically-experienced trainers coach delegates on this course, completing the session with an NPORS practical observation and short answer question paper.
They must pass to qualify for the:
- NPORS/CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card, valid for two years.
- Traditional Operators card, valid for three to five years depending on sector-specific or in-company requirements
This training is essential for workers to conduct lifting operations safely. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, and understand procedures, appropriate documentation and classifications.
The course content includes:
- A basic understanding of the industry, the dangers of working in the industry and operator responsibilities as a Slinger / Signaller
- Manufacturer's requirements as per technical data and conforming to relevant regulations and legislation
- Locating, identifying and explaining different types of lifting equipment and lifting accessories.
- Basic construction, uses, applications and functions of equipment and accessories
- Being able to interpret and extract information on all relevant documentation
- All pre-use checks on non-specialist lifting accessories and identifying non-serviceable items
- Procedures for placing non-serviceable items out-of-service
- Identifying and explaining centres of gravity and calculating estimated weights of loads
- Setting up exclusion zones and explaining actions required for emergency actions, identifying any overhead hazards
- Identifying and maintaining PPE appropriate for Slinger / Signaller use
- Securing various loads to a hook using the relevant lifting accessories and procedures to ensure load balance, security and integrity
- Directing and guiding loads to various locations using different communication techniques
- Environmental considerations and impact
- All out-of-service and securing procedures
At the end of the training, successful delegates can safely and competently work as a slinger and signaller on a construction site.
On successful completion of the course:
Construction industry delegates
Operators will receive a Trained Operator CSCS/NPORS Card valid for two years from the test date.
In order to upgrade your CSCS/NPORS card you need to achieve the requisite (S)NVQ with the units applicable to the category (S) of plant held on their trained operator card
Non-construction industry delegates
Anyone operating in industry sectors other than construction is not required to hold an operator card bearing the CSCS logo and can have the NPORS (Traditional) Operator Card.
End users can select three or five-year registrations for this card depending on sector-specific or in-company requirements.
Who Should Attend?
This Slinger/Signaller NPORS Certification is for anyone requiring training and assessment to work as a slinger and communicate with the crane operator.
This comprehensive course trains delegates to safely and responsibly work on lifting operations on-site. The training options vary to accommodate novices and seasoned delegates:
Novice training - two days with a maximum of three delegates
Refresher training – one-day with a maximum of three delegates
Assessment only - one-day session with a maximum of six delegates
One-to-one and group training sessions are available. Please get in touch with our team to find out more.
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training, working tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We have over 30 specialist Plant and Lifting trainers and assessors, coaching and testing nationwide to meet any specific needs of our clients. With a wealth of experience and expertise, they have successfully trained over 25,000 delegates across the Plant and NVQ training categories.
Our facilities include six technical centres with the capacity for delivering Plant Training across the UK. And our national, accredited Training and Test Centres are fully equipped to provide CPCS and CSCS accredited courses. In addition, as an approved NPORS training provider, we can also offer on-site training and testing nationwide.
Finally, as an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) by CITB, we provide quality training that meets the industry-approved standards.
Things You Need to Know
This Slinger/Signaller N402 NPORS course has practical elements, so delegates must inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in participating.
Delegates must pass their health, safety and environmental touch test within two years of taking their CPCS theory test.
The course includes awareness of periodic examinations of equipment but does not provide full training in the maintenance of equipment. Additional training and information are available on request.
For training held at your location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. In addition, please ensure that the practical area has been risk-assessed, is free from harm, and is ideal for training.
If you are a CITB Levy payer, you can claim a CITB Grant for this course. Once you have booked please contact us with your CITB number and we can assist you in claiming the funds.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.