Crane operators are at the mercy of restricted views, which increases the risks in lifting and loading and to those around them. As such, one of the most critical jobs on-site, is the slinger signaller. Requiring competence, diligence, and acute concentration as the eyes and ears of the crane operator, they work alongside lifting teams to provide safe direction and supervision to the crane operator and ensure the safety of any other workers or site visitors in the area. Not to be confused with a vehicle or plant marshal, whose role is to safely direct vehicle movement on or around site, the signaller is specific to crane operations.
Supervisors and appointed persons can work as the slinger signaller with combined qualifications, if this is something you are interested in, get in touch to find out more.
This Citrus certification delivers the necessary skills, knowledge, and understanding of slinger and rigging duties, identifying and eliminating bad operational habits and enforcing safe practice. It is specifically aimed at plant operators who require practical and theory-based training and assessment to operate as a slinger signaller safely and effectively.
With a mix of practical and theory-based exercises and tutorials, delegates will learn how to operate a Slinger on construction sites, ensuring compliance with the law and securing the health and safety of all parties through stringent safety procedures and best practices.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with regulations. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and we can tailor courses to fit your specific training needs, with the added flexibility provided by our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach to how we work.
Our occupationally and technically-experienced trainers coach delegates on this course, assessing throughout and completing the session with a question and answer paper and practical slinger signaller assessment to follow. They must pass the assessment to qualify for the Citrus Certificate and Citrus ID Card, valid for three years.
This training is essential for workers to supervise lifting operations. Delegates will review legal requirements, ensure safety compliance, and understand procedures, appropriate documentation and classifications.
The learnings will take delegates through;
- Current Health & Safety legislation including lifting operations, lifting equipment regulations and lifting signals to BS7121
- Pre-start checks on the lifting accessories
- Identification marks, test certification and examination documentation
- Identifying load weights and centres of gravity
- Characteristics of lifting accessories, including effects of angle and attaching methods
- The different types and how to select lifting accessories, including uniform load method
- Lift plans and other instructions, including preparation of work areas
- How to sling various loads, including balanced, unbalanced and loose
- How to deliver signals to the appliance operator, using different forms of communication
- How to lift and accurately place multiple loads, including test lifts, to and from confined and blind areas
- Safe working parameters and procedures
- Slinging practicals take place on mobile cranes, tower cranes, lorry loaders, excavators and telehandlers.
Speak to a Citrus Training expert to tailor the course to your needs.
At the end of the training, successful delegates will be able to:
- Understand current Health & Safety legislation, including lifting operations, lifting equipment regulations and lifting signals to BS7121
- Carry out pre-start checks on the lifting accessories
- Understand identification marks, test certification and examination documentation
- Identify load weights and centres of gravity
- Recognise the characteristics of lifting accessories, including effects of angle and attaching methods
- Select correct lifting accessories, including uniform load methods
- Follow lift plans and other instructions, including preparation of work area
- Sling various loads, including balanced, unbalanced and loose
- Deliver signals to the appliance operator using different forms of communication
- Lift and accurately place multiple loads, including test lifts, to and from confined and blind areas
- Keep within safe working parameters and carry out safety procedures
On successful completion of the course, delegates receive their Citrus Certificate and Citrus Training ID card, valid for three years.
Who Should Attend?
This Citrus Certification is for Plant Operators who work with lifting equipment that requires loads to be secured and guided safely. The course is available to those who need the whole package and assessment-only options.
Our comprehensive course trains delegates to safely and responsibly use a lorry loader on-site. The training options vary to accommodate novices and seasoned delegates alike:
Novice training - three days with a maximum of three delegates
Refresher training – two days with day one for training and day two for assessment with a maximum of three delegates
Preparation and Testing – one day course split with training in the morning and assessment in the afternoon for a maximum of three delegates
Assessment only - one-day session with a maximum of six delegates
There are also opportunities to train 1:1 and in groups. Get in touch to discuss options.
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training, working tirelessly to provide exemplary service to our clients and produce excellent results from our delegates. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety, and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
We have over 30 specialist plant and lifting trainers and assessors, coaching and testing nationwide to meet any specific needs of our clients. With a wealth of experience and expertise, they have successfully trained over 25,000 delegates across the Plant and NVQ training categories.
Our facilities include six technical centres with the capacity for delivering Plant Training across the UK. And our national, accredited Training and Test Centres are fully equipped to provide CPCS and CSCS accredited courses. In addition, as an approved NPORS training provider, we can also offer on-site training and testing nationwide.
Finally, as an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) by CITB, we provide quality training that meets the industry-approved standards.
Things You Need to Know
Delegates will ideally have some experience and knowledge of slinging and rigging before taking this course.
The training has practical elements, so delegates must inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in conducting elements of this training course.
For training held at your location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a 240v power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. In addition, please ensure that the practical area has been risk-assessed, is free from harm, and is ideal for training.
If you are a CITB Levy payer, you can claim a CITB Grant for this course. Once you have booked please contact us with your CITB number and we can assist you in claiming the funds.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.