Health and Safety within the water jetting industry are critical for safe operations. Trained staff will have a greater awareness and appreciation of safe working practices with high-pressure water jetting, which is used on jobs large and small around the country. Councils, insurance companies, water utilities and major contractors require staff to have the correct training and valid certification before proceeding with any work.
The Water Jetting Association (WJA) upholds regulations and rules for training and certification in water jetting work. As a trade association, they represent contractors, manufacturers, hirers and other organisations that have a professional and commercial interest in all aspects of high-pressure water jetting to promote safety and technical standards for all forms of water jetting, including:
- Ultra-high-pressure water jetting
- High-pressure water jetting
- Pressure washing
- Drain and sewer cleaning
This High-Pressure Water Jetting - Safety Awareness qualification is awarded by the Water Jetting Association and City & Guilds, enabling delegates to demonstrate skill, knowledge, and competence in using high-pressure water jetting equipment.
Through a mix of practical and theory-based exercises and tutorials, delegates will cover manufacturer and general knowledge and awareness of high-pressure water jetting equipment and participate in practical activities to learn best practices and operating methods to use them.
The course reflects national standards and industry best practices and is fully accredited in line with regulations. In addition, choose to learn with Citrus, and delegates will benefit from our custom-built training facilities and customer-first approach.
Our occupationally and technically-experienced trainers coach delegates on this course, completing the session with a practical observation and short answer question paper. They must pass the assessment to qualify for the C&G and WJA accredited certificate and ID card, valid for five years.
Delegates taking this High-Pressure Water Jetting Safety Awareness training will cover awareness, knowledge, skills and operating practice.
Course content includes:
- Introduction to high-pressure water jetting
- Cleaning and surface preparation, including drain and sewers, pies and tubes
- Jet cutting – precision and volume removal.
- Machine pressure and flow
- Types of jetting machines, configurations and categories, including Pressure Washers, General Purpose, Medium-Heavy Duty, UHP, Drain and Sewer Jetters
- Legislation and the WJA Codes of Practice, including the Health & Safety at Work Act, status, use and recognition by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Management Regulations, Risk Assessment, PPE at Work Regulations, and COSHH
- The purpose of nozzles, power of water jet, jet pressure and flow characteristics, jet reaction force and types of nozzle
- Pump configuration, including plunger pump, positive displacement action, operating features, effects of blockages
- Pressure controls, including Dump and dry shut controls, fail-safe and selector versions, direct manual and remote operation
- High-pressure hose use, including hose construction and pressure ratings, external and internal damage possibilities, and potential hazards
- Identifying and rectifying water jetting hazards
- Recognising and preventing water jetting injuries, including use of a WJA Medical Card
- Appropriate PPE for water jetting work
- Routine care and inspection, site and team preparations
Upon successfully completing this qualification, delegates will receive their High-Pressure Water Jetting Safety Awareness certificate valid for three years.
Who Should Attend?
The City & Guilds and WJA Safety Awareness training is for operators that need to use water jetting equipment in their line of work. Delegates must attend this course before booking on to any further WJA training.
This comprehensive course takes one day to complete.
We dedicate our efforts to unrivalled quality and the customer experience at Citrus Training. As a result, we are the leading UK-based provider of health, safety and technical training and assessment services to the Built Environment and Utility sectors.
Citrus Training serves 85 of the top 100 building services companies in the market. With nearly 20-years of sector-specific experience, we’ve gained invaluable training experiences and knowledge to pass on to our delegates.
Our Tools and Equipment training is accredited, regulated, and has exceptionally high standards. Assessing short and long-term workplace risks, we teach and promote current industry and legislative requirements to ensure delegates take them forward into their daily working lives.
Our occupationally experienced educators deliver courses at our nationwide training centres, offering the very best of training standards and quality assurance.
Things You Need to Know
For training held at your location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. In addition, please ensure that the practical area has been risk-assessed, is free from harm, and is ideal for training.
Before starting the course, they must inform their trainer of any special considerations, medication or physical restrictions that may cause difficulties in any part of the training.
Over 100+ training centres nationwide, with 150+ technical trainers, delivering upwards of 250+ courses to over 40,000+ delegates each year. Thats why we're the UK's trusted training provider.